Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Faith in Photos: Colossians 1:17



This is one of my favorite verses. One Sunday in church about a year or so ago Pastor Mike Gray read this verse during his sermon. It wasn't the key verse for the sermon. I don't remember what the sermon was even about. All I remember is that when he read the verse the hairs on the back of my neck tingled.

I could hear the Holy Spirit saying "I threw that one in there just for you today".

Some days I truly feel like things are coming undone. I can't explain it. It is part of the anxiety I suffer from on occasion. Sometimes I feel that way because I have over commited myself and I am stressed and it feels like everything is rushing at me.  That is enough to drive you crazy but I can cope with that fairly well. It is the times when there is no reason for it and yet still I can feel everything spiraling out of control.  That is when I come very close to losing it.

And then when I start to feel things spinning out of control that is when this verse comes to my mind. Things aren't going to come apart. The earth isn't going to spin off its axis. If I stop and breath. If I just stop and be still and remember the things I know deep inside I can calm the storm inside my mind and get back on track. If I remember "in Him all things hold together".

There is an old video from the heavy metal band Korn's song called "Coming Undone" It was the best visual representation of the way that feels that I have ever seen. I am going to post a link to the video but I am giving you warning if you aren't into heavy metal Korn is a bit rough.

I actually had just watched that video the day before I heard the sermon. I was in a place at that time where I really felt like things were coming undone. And just when I needed it, that feeling of helplessness and of craziness, that feeling of everything falling apart was replaced by an image instead of a loving God holding everything together.

Shell





No comments:

Post a Comment