Wednesday, July 20, 2011

13. And so it begins.

I don't know about the rest of you parents out there but I am not looking forward to the teen years. First of all just saying the words I have a teenager make me feel OLD but that is a whole nother issue LOL.

I have heard people say things like I don't know what happened he was such a sweet little boy or one day she was my little girl and the next day she was my enemy. I was hoping to avoid such a drastic change. I was hoping for a smooth transition from childhood to adulthood. I was hoping for peace. I was delusional.

I have noticed little at a time over the last month or so an attitude creeping in.  An attitude that says "You just don't get it" "You don't understand" "Nothing ever goes my way" "Why should I have to do that" "Why can't I just do what I want" Teenage angst.

Right now he wants to dye his hair Fire Engine Red. Do I care? I am not sure. They aren't supposed to have distracting hair styles or colors at school which is only a month away. If we do it now it will still be there come school time. Does bright red hair equal distracting hair? I have seen other kids with it. I am thinking he needs to pay for it himself. If he earns the money to do it am I okay with it? I don't know. Fire Engine Red seriously?

It is always something. The games he plays, the movies he watches, the friends he has, the work ethic he lacks. Always something to argue over. Our common ground is shrinking every day as he pushes for independence.

Man it is a good thing nobody ever said parenting was easy cause if they did they would be lying.

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment