Monday, July 4, 2011

Fireworks stands, Sugar biscuits, and Blackcats.




I have been reading on facebook how there are no fireworks stands open in West Texas this year because of all the fires and because of the draught. That is completely understandable but still it is a little bit sad. Going to the fireworks stand over by the football field is almost as memorable to me as the fireworks were. A wonderful part of my childhood that I always smile about when I remember it.

I don't know what kind of fireworks they have in Texas now since I have been gone for 18 years. Wow it has been 18 years since Texas was officially my home; notice I said officially cause I still say "back home" when I talk about Texas. Anyway I don't know what they have there now but here all the good fireworks are illegal. I don't really care for the most part. Bottle rockets were always fun and I kinda miss them. I remember shooting them off with my dad. But the only thing I hate that my kids won't get to experience are Black Cat firecrackers. I had fun with those. Man the places I used to stick those things. I think inside the clothes line pole was my favorite.  

So this morning I woke up and was trying to figure out what to eat. I was all ready feeling nostalgic since it is a holiday I am not with my family. I usually don't feel that way since we are usually camping with Jennifer and Bill on the 4th but since we aren't this year I am feeling like I want my family around. Anyway I was looking for breakfast thinking about the 4th back when I was a kid and I remembered I had some left over biscuits from breakfast yesterday. I cut them half, put tons of butter and sugar on them and broiled them till the sugar was melted and bubbly. It was almost like being a kid again. I used to love it when my mom would make those for me.

So now I am off to enjoy the holiday.  We went to a cookout yesterday at a friends house. The kids and I are headed to another friends house today for a cook out and for some swimming.  Dan is out fishing and when he gets back we are going to go watch a fireworks show. Hope you all have a great 4th.

Shell

2 comments:

  1. hope you had a nice day!! Sounds like it was fun to create that memory from your childhood with the biscuits! I bet they did taste good!!

    we live in Southern California so fireworks it seems (other than the public displays) are always illegal. However, we live 10 minutes from the Mexican border where they are sold at stands abundantly (and sadly snuck back across the border). I heard on the news the other day last year the emergency rooms had over 6300 visits associated with injuries due to illegal fireworks.

    But I do remember the sparklers from my youth! Those were fun to light on the Fourth!

    enjoy the week ahead

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty.. I spent some time in Southern California. I remember the fireworks being illegal but I also remember some pretty good public fireworks shows so it was okay. Hope you had a good holiday and will enjoy the upcoming week.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete