Saturday, June 4, 2011

36 chickens, 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 pigeons, and a pheasant.

I went to the chicken swap this morning. Man it was a big one. There were so many people there. I love the whole idea behind the chicken swaps. It is like a farmers market for animals. All the people who are selling are so nice and so excited to talk about their animals.

The one thing to know though the name "chicken swap" is a bit of a misnomer. It is true there are always chickens. Usually more chickens than anything else but it is actually a small animal swap. There are always tons of other animals there. Today I saw chickens (of course), ducks, turkeys, pigeons, kittens, puppies, pheasants, quail, rabbits, and goats. Man I want goats!




So I brought home 15 more chickens and a pheasant today. Two of the chickens are 8 months old and are beautiful. Three are about a month old same as my little one. Not to bad. 5 chickens. That would bring my total to 26. Hmmm do I really want 26 chickens? Yeah 10 of them are older and won't be laying much longer. That probably isn't a bad number.







Then I saw them. The cutest tiniest little birds you have ever seen. a box full of them. Each one so itty bitty. Baby bantams. I love bantams. I don't have any because I have been trying to be practical. Bantams lay small eggs. I have chickens for their eggs. Why would I need chickens that lay little ones?  Because they are so blasted cute that is why. So at only $1 each I bought 10. I figure I am bound to get at least a couple hens out of that many. I put my cell phone in so you can see how tiny they are.





They will look just like regular chickens when they are full grown except smaller. So so cool.










So now I have 36 chickens. What am I going to do with 36 chickens? No telling.

Now the pheasant is cool. He is just for looks. They are just so darn beautiful in an unusual way. I figured I would toss him in with the pigeons. We will have a area for useless birds we have for no reason LOL



 Aren't they pretty? Mine's feathers haven't changed yet so once it gets all colorful I post new photos.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am off to bed. I know it is early but I am beat. Later all.

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment