Sunday, June 12, 2011

The God of now.


I have been thinking about today's sermon off and on through out the day. I love it when Pastor Mike takes something I have read or heard 100 times before and makes it new again.  He did that for me again this morning.

I have read Exodus 3:14 many times. This is where Moses asks God what he should say if the Israelites ask him the name of who sent him.

14God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM."[a] And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

As many times as I read that passage I always read it the same way. To me in my head when I read this I read it as "I always have been and always will be".  Now that is part of it but during the sermon I was thinking about the point that Pastor Mike was making. Notice what is missing in my interpretation of that passage. Well maybe missing isn't the right word. What isn't mentioned may be a better way of putting it. "I always have been" talks about the past... "always will be" talks about the future. No where in my mind did it focus on the now.

So I was thinking... is that the way I view God? Sometimes I think it is. I can look back and see how he has been at work in my life. I can see His hand on so many things through out my past.  I also trust God for the future.  It isn't that I don't trust Him with my now. It is just that I get so caught up in the now that I don't stop to look for God in the present. I have time to reflect on the past. Time to worry about the future. But now? Now I am running 90 miles an hour and thinking about everything I need to do. Now is all up to me right? 

I AM WHO I AM.

Past and future never changing always present. Present then. Present Later. Present now. Present now. One more time Present NOW.

If I took the time. Time to stop. Time to breath. Time to look. Time to trust. God isn't a God of the past or a God of the future. God is the God of now and that my friends is big!

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment