Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Pandamania! Why do we have Vacation Bible School?


So this is VBS week. The theme this year is Panda's. Ok actually the theme is "God is Wild About You" but there are panda's everywhere thus the name "Pandamania".  I was looking at the numbers last night and realized we have almost as many workers as we have kids. It takes A LOT of work to pull off a full blown VBS.  It also cost a pretty large amount of money.

So the question becomes why do we do it.  That is what we need to ask ourselves. Do we do it because as a church we have always done it? Do we do it because it is what churches are supposed to do? Are we using it as a recruiting tool trying to get new families to come to our church.  Is it for unchurched kids or is it for churched kids?  I am not suggesting we should toss out VBS.  I still remember going to VBS at Sweet Home Baptist Church in Rule, Texas. I wouldn't be the director if I didn't believe it is something we should do. I just think that if we are doing it because it is what we have always done then it will be missing something. Missing something big. Missing something really really important.

If we aren't doing for God we had might as well not do it.

I don't know if our VBS this year will reach even one single unchurched kid for Christ. I don't know if we will unleash a special talent in one of our church kids.  I don't know if all we will do is plant one single seed in the mind of one single child that will grow into a great faith.  Maybe the only thing that will come out of this is for our church family to grow closer to God and closer to each other by serving together.  It could be all of these things.

But what I do know is we are doing it for the Glory of God. Period. That thought is what has kept me going. The knowledge that I truly didn't have it in me this year to plan and direct a VBS program and yet it came together with out a hitch. God is in this this year.

For God's Glory ... that is why we do Vacation Bible School.


Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment