Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 9 of 30 days of Thankfulness (The chicken or the egg?)

As I was getting ready to write this post I realized I am facing an age old delimma.


The Chicken or the Egg?

Okay not exactly the same delimma.  I am pretty sure I have the whole chicken/egg thing figured out where creation is concerned.  My delimma is which am I thankful for?  I wanted chickens for YEARS before Dan finally caved and said okay.  I love having them.  I go out every morning and they are so much fun to watch and to listen to.  Mine stopped laying over the winter.  I know a lot of people were still getting eggs but I wasn't.  Plus I have 4 chickens who were just starting to lay right before winter and they also stopped. I was getting a couple eggs a day towards the end of fall.

About two weeks ago they ALL started laying. I am getting in the neighborhood of 5 to 8 eggs a day. That doesn't sound like too many does it? Until you do the math. Now just think about it.  Let's take the low number and see what that means.  5 eggs a day. 7 days in a week means 35 eggs a week. 4 weeks in a month means 140 eggs a month. 12 eggs in a dozen means 11 dozen eggs a month. Now remember that is the low end. More days than not I get closer to 8. So that is like 20 dozen eggs a month.  OH MY GRACIOUS! So split the difference 15 dozen a month!

So how many quiches do you think I can pawn off on my family?  Anyway the chickens are fun.  The eggs taste great and have so many uses so the question is which am I more thankful for? My chickens or my eggs?


Shell

2 comments:

  1. Love it. And this family goes through eggs like water, so if you need to get rid of some :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always trying to give away eggs LOL I can bring you a dozen this Sunday if you want them!

    ReplyDelete