Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Quiet Time..... Yeah right.

The current study I am doing is called "Making Your Home a Haven: Strategies for the Domestically Challenged" by Cyndy Salzman.  This was a study that the women's group was doing at a church we visited a few years ago. I thought it sounded like it was written for me and bought the book but never did the study.  I pulled it off the shelf a week or so ago and decided it was time to do the study.  I have really enjoyed it so far.  While it is another home organizing book which I LOVE (nothing like reading about that which is at total mystery to you) it is more about making your house a home than it is about what kind of container best holds scrapbooking supplies.  I love the focus on what God says your home should be. I have also enjoyed reading about her struggles to figure out how to juggle working and keeping a home.

Then I got the chapter on Managing Your Time.  Not enjoying it anymore.  Making the best possible use of my time has never been my strong suit.  First thing that comes to my mind is 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. (NLT).  Okay I know this but I have never checked to see what scripture says about time management. Honestly, I am not sure I wanted to know. Much easier to just kinda read right through that part and not think about it again.

Well today there was no reading right through it. Bam! Right in my face she starts out the chapter like this:

Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but have harvested little. (Haggai 1:5-6 NIV)

Shortly followed by:

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time (Ephesians 5:15-16 NASB)

Followed by:

A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands. (Proverbs 14:1 NLT)

Followed up by of course the dreaded Proverbs 31 woman.  Just so you don't forget what it says:

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
10c A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Okay can you say convicted...convicted... convicted. 

So where I leave this today is my "Quiet Time" wasn't so quiet today and I can't say it left me with the sense of calm and peace it normally does.  Instead I would say it was loud and very unsettling.

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment