Friday, August 19, 2011

Sometimes you hit the jackpot.


Last night we had a ladies night out at Salsa's. Technically it was the dinner for us to get together and plan our up coming trip to the Women of Faith conference in DC. But we didn't just have women who were going on the trip we called it an Ladies Night Out and invited everyone. I am not sure how many came I am going to take a guess and say 15 or so. It was a fun night with great conversation, much laughter, and good food.

One of the ladies who was sitting at the far end of the table kept coming and going. She would sit there for 10 or 15 minutes then I would see her hop up and go to another section but I couldn't see what she was doing. Then a few minutes later she would come back.  I leaned over and asked my friend "What is Rachel doing?" (Cause yeah I am nosey like that) Come to find out her little boy (who just happens to be the sweetest thing ever!) is having separation anxiety issues so... are you ready for this... her sweet husband came with her to sit with the baby in the restaurant so she could come have dinner with us.

Yep, Dan would have done that. Since my kids are 11 and 13 we don't have any separation anxiety to deal with. We had Karate for one and needing to be dropped off for a sleepover for the other one. No problem Dan handled it. Like always. Notice the like always on there. This isn't an isolated thing. This is Dan being Dan.

I hear enough from other women to know not everyone is so blessed. There aren't that many Dan's out there.

I have chosen the difficult path out of shear stubbornness in many areas of my life. Sometimes things just flat out don't go my way. I am not the "luckiest" person. I never win door prizes. My number is never the one chosen. If there is a drawing it is running joke that some else needs to pick the tickets. But in this one area, when it comes to Dan, I hit the jackpot and I thank God every single day.

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment