Thursday, August 4, 2011

"Just do it!" If only it were that easy.


I was thinking about things in general this morning. Things I would like to change. Things I like the way they are. What I thought my life would be at 40 vs. what it is. That kind of thing.

So once again I got a little annoyed with myself. The things I would like to change now are the same things I wanted to change 10 years ago. Then 5 years ago.  And now. So the question is in 5 years or 10 years am I still going to be sitting here wanting to change the same old things?  I have made some progress I guess. Not 10 years worth that is for sure.

Then I was thinking about a particular friend of mine. I won't name names but you know who you are. We have been friends for 10 years now. I complain to her she complains to me. We lament our same ole same ole. But I think we are still having the same conversations today we had back then. We have added new problems as the kids get older but we haven't really solved any of the old ones.

We talk and talk and talk about all the changes we are going to make. How we are going to get organized. How we are going to simplify our lives. How I am going to learn to say no to other people and how she is going to learn to say yes to herself. How this year we are going to remember people's birthdays. Changes we are going to make in our houses. Changes we are going to make in our attitudes. She is going to start going to church and I am going to find a "real" job. She is going to stop stressing so much about little things and I am going to go to school. Round and round and round we go but we never get anywhere.

I think it is time to get off the merry-go-round and actual make something happen. Of course I am pretty sure I said that 5 years ago.

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment