Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 30 of 30 Days of Thankfulness (30 Days of Thankfulness)


Wow I can't believe it is done! All thirty days. And I finished it! That in itself is something I am thankful for. For finishing something. I am the worlds worst at unfinished projects.

This small little thing, this 30 days of looking for something to be thankful for, has turned into something bigger and I am so so thankful for that.  It has caused me to look at everyday things a little bit differently. I have always considered myself to be an optimistic person. But over this past month I have realized that optimism is about believing things will all work out in the future. And I do believe that. I believe in a God who works all things for good for those who love God (Romans 8:28). So how can I not be optimistic?  But what this showed me was that optimism isn't what brings joy.  Always thinking that eventually things will be good can cause you to overlook how good things are NOW. That is where joy comes from.  Joy comes from being thankful NOW!  That is what I want in my life. Not anticipation of future Joy (which I have) but Joy now, everyday in everything.

This little 30 day experiment hasn't gotten me there.  This is too big a change for that. Remember what I said about idea and not finishing things? That is all about finding Joy in what could be, not what is.  Wishing for something different. I am not saying that isn't okay. It is a part of myself I wouldn't want to get rid of.   But it is part of myself that needs to be tweaked a bit.  I need to remember to be thankful for NOW. For what I am doing NOW.  It's hard to be depressed when you are thankful. I am learning that also.

So this is only the beginning of this for me.  I am glad those of you who have read my blog started it out with me. I won't be subjecting you to my daily lists, although I am sure it will creep in on occasion.  So now I will dig around upstairs in my book shelves, pull out one of my many many gratitude journals... rename it a thankfulness journal (Don't ask me the difference or what it matters but to me gratitude is different from thankfulness. To me gratitude is on the surface and thankfulness is gratefulness from your soul.  I know, crazy, but that is the way it is in my mind.) and keep thinking of everyday things to be thankful for. I know not everyone is as blessed as I am so it is time I live like it.

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.  ~Thornton Wilder

Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel.  ~Author Unknown

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment