Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Day Late and a Dollar Short... Because Easter’s More Important than Christmas

I know I have been mentioning Ann Voskamp a lot lately. I am sure I will move on to other topics at some point but I just really really loved her book. I love the idea that our relationship with God is as simple (haha) as trusting in his sovereignty and being grateful for the life He has given us.


I read her blog most days and right now she is celebrating Easter. I don't mean they are planning an Easter Egg hunt and will be having a special meal on Sunday although from things she has said they are probably going to do those things. I mean she is CELEBRATING Easter. The way most of us celebrate Christmas.

I guess I had never really thought about it before. I mean Christmas is the "big" Christian holiday right? Then Easter right? Or is Thanksgiving second and Easter is third?  Thanksgiving is about being thankful and Christmas is Holy and Easter is... about spring and rebirth right? With a little Empty Tomb and Easter eggs tossed in.


I am embarrassed to say that I have never given Easter the place it deserves in my life.  We did the resurrection eggs with my kids when they were small and explained why we celebrate Easter. I didn't forget it was all about the Cross. I just never really thought about it as something to celebrate. I have always celebrated the time of year and the fun and the family and then been grateful we had this holiday because of the Cross.

I am not sure if I am making any sense here at all because it doesn't make sense to me now.  I am thinking how could the reason for the holiday not be the thing you celebrate on the holiday.  Then I think about all the time and effort and money spent to celebrate the birth of Christ. I do not have a single Easter decoration for my house. I have BINS of Christmas decorations. I spend weeks preparing for Christmas but barely even prepare for Easter. We might make cupcakes for tomorrow and if the kids were smaller I would hide some eggs we spent a couple hours coloring.  It is easy to see which holiday comes first for me.

I am not saying Christmas doesn't matter. It does! We should celebrate His birth. But what does His birth mean without His death and resurrection? 

So now for the day late and dollar short part. I found this link on Ann Voskamp's blog and I am actually closer to 16 days late because it is a 17 day devotion leading up to Easter. I didn't do it as a devotion but I read it and it blessed me so here is the link:

Free Easter Devotional with Eater Passion Tree {Because Easter's More Important than Christmas}


Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment