Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Love/Hate relationship with the English Language

I love words. I love to read. I love to write. I love to talk. Truth is I love the English language but I have to say ...  I HATE grammar.

I was talking to a friend the other day and we were talking about my run-on sentences (is that run on or run-on I think it has a hyphen). So anyway we talking about my sentences that go on and on and I was telling her that it is just that when I write the blog I write what I am thinking and I pretty much think in one long run-on sentence so that is the way it comes out in my writing I mean come on anyone who has ever heard me talk knows that I only stop when I have to because I absolutely positively have to stop to **gasp** breath.  Truth be told since I don't have to breath to keep thinking like I have to in order to keep talking my thought sentences are WAAAAAYY longer than my speaking sentences. That is why I reread the blog and break the REALLY long ones down into a couple (like 4) sentences before I hit publish post. Usually.

But it isn't just run-on sentences. I HATE commas, semicolons, colons, and so on (I do however LOVE ellipses and parentheses in case you haven't noticed). I personally think they are a waste of time and effort. The rules for when to use them keep changing. They break up run-on sentences. I usually don't bother to use them.  It isn't that I don't know how. I don't know how many people know this and I realize you probably can't tell it from my blog but I actually am a good writer. I have won awards for my writing even. The problem is writing in an award winning way is too much trouble. It requires me to proof read. Who wants to proof read? Not me. I am sure that some of my friends (yes Heather I mean you LOL) read my blog and feel the need to pull out a red pen. 

I just felt the need just one time to point out that I know how to use all the nifty little marks that you use to make it all correct. I know how to spell (or how to use spell check anyway) I know the difference between to too and two and their there and they're. I know alot isn't a word. I just don't care.



And now as I write this I am thinking of my brilliant gifted son who said to me the other day "Why should I have to do this stupid math homework. I have been doing this math since third grade and since I know how to do it why should I have to do all these problems? Since I know how to do it this is such a waste of time" I understand young son I truly do.

But since I am a grown up and noone is grading my blog I don't have to if I don't want to so ... Take that English teachers of the world. In your face!

Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment